10.19.2006

hi ho hi ho it's back to work I go

So my father picked an urn today with the funeral home rep that came to the house. So weird to go through the catalog. They actually have a RANGE of caskets for cremation, ranging from your basic cardboard box to big and expensive but still highly flammable. What an industry.

What I think is really goobery is that for work in order to get the ONE day they are willing to give for bereavement at work is I have to have a letter from either hospice or the cremation people stating my relationship to the deceased. Um...what? One day? Seriously? What if this had been one of my folks? I can tell you that I would not be able to head back to work to have people screaming at me about their damn TVs after one day. The odds of me getting fired would be huge. I understand (I guess) that they do not want to pay me for any extra days. HOWEVER, unless I have seriously claimed a bunch of relatives, it seems they can take my word for it with a simple announcement. I have to have someone state that she was in fact related to me? How about if I bring in some of the dirty diapers I had to deal with the last few days?

Ugh. The working world is just not somewhere I like to be. It's all about money and how much they can squeeze out of you before your soul gives up. I am frustrated with that. I have been with the company over 4 years and still I need a note from my parents if I am not going to be there.

So I will be there at 6:00 am tomorrow and things will go on like nothing happened. People will yell at me and I will have to pretend that I am really concerned about their children's ability to watch fucking Sponge Bob. I will do it of course, because I obviously have to pay bills and do my part to exist in society, blah blah blah.

I know that within a few days I will be over the "injustice" of it all, there are people each day dealing with the awful parts of life. It's just amazing how quickly we have to hit the ground running again.

No comments: